Saturday, July 16, 2005

Sin City

Last night we went and saw Sin City. And it was good. In fact it was so good that I had nightmares all night and woke up exhausted. But I'm glad I saw it.

If you haven't seen it - well catch up people - I'm not going to go through any explanations about it or explain who Frank Miller is yada yada yada. I'm not even going to bother with a proper review because, as you know, I don't really do that. I haven't read the graphic novels (don't say comic books or they'll kneecap you) so I can't even tell you if the film stayed true to his vision, but Handsomest (aka Geek Comic Book Guy) said that the film was very much like the graphic novels. And it was pretty unlike any movie I've seen.

It was black and white (as the girl at the ticket box felt compelled to tell us) and they used some colour for certain things they wanted you to notice. Which was effective because there was a lot of blood and a lot of gore but for the most part, it was a glowing, oozing white. Strangely enough, this made you feel different about all the gross stuff. I haven't quite figured out how different, but I'm getting there. It was horrific in content. I really can't say this enough. Some bits were totally ewwwwww and yick, but it didn't put me off.

Anyway, Mickey Rourke was fantastic as Marv - it was perfect casting. He was my favourite and I felt so bad for him by the end. If you haven't seen it, I think you should. Which I guess counts for as close to a ringing endorsement as you are likely to get here.

7 Comments:

Blogger Craig said...

What about Madsen as Bruce Willis's partner? Did you feel there was something a little off about his performance?

I haven't read all of the graphic novels, but the story of The Hard Goodbye (Marv's story) looked like it was just a moving version of the GN.

8:24 pm  
Blogger Matt said...

I saw this back in April when it hit the theatres over here and loved it. I read that the director (Robert Rodriguez) wanted to make this movie so badly he actually put together the intro (that bit with Josh Hartnett) on his own dime to show Frank Miller what he had in mind and how faithful to the original concept he planned to be. FM, who previously had sworn not to sell the rights to these stories because he didn't trust Hollywood, was so impressed he immediately signed on and became the co-director.

9:39 pm  
Blogger MC Etcher said...

I've missed my opportunity to see this in the theater, sadly.

I'll bet they will re-release it though, seems the right sort of film.

2:47 pm  
Blogger Laziest Girl said...

Look, I love Michael Madsen but you're right - his performance was not quite right. Handsomest thinks that it was because he was talking too fast, but I don't know. He just didn't seem very comfortable in the role did he?

8:51 am  
Blogger Craig said...

That depends on whether seeming like one is reading lines off of a cue card is comfortable or not. I like Michael Madsen too, just not in this.

9:36 am  
Blogger Laziest Girl said...

ouch - don't hold back CK, tell us what you really think.

9:50 am  
Blogger Herge Smith said...

Madsen was terrible,

I'm a comic book reader and I hate the term 'graphic novel'. Can't help feel it was invented by the middleclass so they would feel better reading comics.

Comic books, say it, be proud.

9:39 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home