Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Stop me if you think that you've heard this one before.

You know, people here are arguing that, because Queensland schools don't teach by rote in schools anymore, poetry and the like is on the decline. That's not true. I think we just need to re-define what counts as poetry.

All those Smiths lyrics I absorbed as a youth, are still in my brain - ready for total recall at any point. The Pixies too, and the Cure. I think I know nearly all the dialogue from Blackadder and it's lodged right next to the dialogue from the The Young Ones. And films - I can repeat the words almost verbatim for so many films that it is both scary and pathetic.

Clearly I learn by listening but why is is that the brain fills up with this stuff? Really, it's no wonder I can't remember anything useful. Like how to use apostrophe correctly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home