Monday, July 11, 2005

So I didn't actually die, I just felt like I was going to.

So I'm feeling a lot better now. Thanks for the emails, the flowers, the telegrams and the stripper, although the sympathy cards to Handsomest were a bit much. I'm back a work now, a little woozy, but that could be the gin we had at morning tea time.

The sinuses have drained, the pajamas are no longer de rigeur day wear, the doona is back on the spare bed, the eyes are now devoid of sunglasses when indoors, the comics books are back in their box, the Indiana Jones films have been returned to the video shop (well, actually, not quite yet, I've still got to watch the extras - but they are so nearly returned), the hair has been remodelled by the hairdresser and all is well at Casa LG.

Even better, results were released for Uni this semester and I got a 5 for Buddhism and a 7 for Meditation. Celebrations would have gone into the night had I not needed a couple of panadeine and lie down.

By Sunday, I even felt well enough to go out to breakfast and then on to the Valley Fiesta. We met up with Jay, Becc-with-two-c's and the Percussion-king and caught local Brisbane bands Gentle Ben and his Sensitive Side, the Vegas Kings and the Gin Club before repairing to the pub for a few restorative ales.

And then, because I'm so damn hip and cool and happening, I watched this really interesting documentary about this black stone tablet that was discovered in Israel and purported to evidence the existence of the Temple of Solomon (remember, that's where the Israelites stashed the Ark of the Covenant (see Indiana Jones "Raiders of the Lost Ark" for further historical details)). Apparently the guy who owned it also discovered the ossuary that was initially believed to have held the bones of James, brother of Jesus. Anyway it all turned out to be fake and the guy was actually manufacturing fake seals etc that he was selling off to museums around the world. It was really interesting - even the boring bits where they talked to scientists and examined stuff through the microscope.

9 Comments:

Blogger Craig said...

OK, first off, scientists are not boring, nor is talking to one.

Also, as I am a stupid American, I have to ask: You got a 5 and a 7? Obviously this is good because you were celebrating, but what does it mean?

12:36 am  
Blogger Laziest Girl said...

Sorry - the marking scale is as follows:

1 - serious fail (basically, you need to not turn up to any classes or exams and not hand in any assessment)

2 - fail (if you get a two, you've shown up occassionally but pretty much missed the entire point of the subject)

3 - a conceded pass (you get this if you technically fail (ie. by a few marks) but they feel sorry for you so let you pass. Usually you are only allowed 2 or 3 conceded passes on your academic record to receive your final degree)

4 - pass (proving that if you can put together a vaguely coherent essay you can pass)

5 - credit

6 - distinction (I usually get a 5 or a 6)

7 - high distinction (this is the best mark you can get and is therefore highly sort after)

10:57 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In response to ck, while I know that talking to scientists is a fulfilling intellectual exercise that can only be described as time well spent, I can attest that LG finds us boring.

12:38 pm  
Blogger Craig said...

Boring, but she still keeps you around and calls you such nice names on her blog. (I am assuming that HH is the infamous handsomest husband, whose modesty precludes him from calling himself such)

1:16 pm  
Blogger Laziest Girl said...

It's true, when Handsomest Husband (HH) starts trying to explain how a bollocksy-mactroposcope works, I hear "Well LG, it's really interesting. Firstly we take the sample and we feed it into the blah, blah, blah, blah". I think that two minutes is probably a generous estimate of my maximum attention span.

4:30 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, what happened to the GTO appearing as a regular character in your dialogue? It wasn't just, "we went to breakfast", it was "we went to breakfast with the GTO and various other Book Group attendees". My God, the GTO is being replaced by a younger, cuter version. Dang!

10:48 pm  
Blogger Craig said...

If HH gets two minutes of your attention span, that's pretty impressive. I can't manage nearly that long at my house. I usually have to stop midsentence and ask "You're not paying attention at all, are you?"

1:58 am  
Blogger Laziest Girl said...

Ahh - but then the answer would be "of course I am darling". I have perfected a technique* which enables me to repeat verbatim whatever it was that Handsomest was rabbiting on about without have to actually engage the brain or pay the least bit of attention.

And GTO - I only didn't mention who was at breakfast because it interupted the flow of the narrative** - it's art darling. But for the record - breakfast companions were***:

Helen****
Jo****
The Gorgeous Tall One
Andre
Handsomest Husband

*Patent pending
** And now I have to try to think of appropriate names for people in order to protect their identities
*** And I can't just say assorted book group friends - then Helen and Jo will feel left out
**** Give me a break people, I can't think of witty names at 5:40am

5:42 am  
Blogger L said...

glad to see you're feeling better :)

9:50 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home