Friday, July 01, 2005

Shameless book plug

I'm sorry to disappoint you all today but I don't have a Bronski and Bernstein episode update. How could I be so thoughtless as to miss Bronski and Bernstein and thus deprive you of your weekly fix? Well, I went to a book launch.

And it was a serious book - "Sodomy: The History of a Christian Biblical Myth" by Dr Michael Carden. Michael was my lecturer at Uni for a couple of subjects ("Gods and Goddesses" and "Religion and Sexuality") when he was still doing his PhD. Finally, PhD completed, Doctorate awarded and now he's published a book based on said PhD.

Unfortunately, I haven't read it yet. The books hadn't arrived at the bookshop (publishers, who'd have 'em?) in time for the book launch but I've been reliably informed that they are available from today.

Essentially the book examines the stories of Genesis 19 (Sodom and Gomorrah) and Judges 19-21 (the one about the outrage at Gibeah) in the Christian and Jewish traditions and, in particular, examines the traditional homophobic interpretation of Sodom and Gomorrah. He presents an alternative perspective on the story in which the events at Sodom and Gomorrah are associated with xenophobia, inhospitality and the selfishness of the wealthy and are not seen as some sort of gay mardi gras of excess.

I, for one, am looking forward to reading it.

2 Comments:

Blogger L said...

ooh, sounds reallly interesting....

3:19 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG do you like Bronski and Bernstein! Me too they rock! I cant believe its finshed now! i miss them so much (especially bronski! *drool*)

5:25 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home