Thursday, July 14, 2005

Coming out of the closet (well, not that way)

I have raved (and possibly even ranted) numerous times about the user profiles in which we (the blogger) tell you (the sad and demented audience*) what our favourite books, films and music are. I'm not going to drag up the fact that just because we both watched Lord of the Rings (the extended version, not the cinema release version) and loved it then it doesn't mean that we are soul mates. I'm not even going to carry on (again) about the fact that liking stuff doesn't give you a true identity - all it gives you is a group to sit with at the pub.

And that's not always a bad thing. The problem is that we are always going to list books, films and music that gives us cache. Cache with who isn't always certain, but it's all about trying to make a connection with someone. So even if I loved Sleepless in Seattle (not that I do) and it was my favourite movie of all time (not that it is), I'm not going to tell you because it makes you think that I am a certain type of person. Actually, this is turning into a circular argument because if I did really love Sleepless in Seattle (not that there's anything wrong with that) then surely that makes me that kind of person?

Anyway, if you can't follow this kind of logical reasoning - then I ain't helping you out any further.

The whole of point of this is that I think it's time I came clean with you all. I own a number of DVDs. An obscene number of DVDs come to that. And each and every one of these DVDs were carefully chosen by me and I like them. But the very existence of some of these DVDs is somewhat embarrassing. So I've decided to stage an intervention in order to overcome my shame at loving dorky, smaltzy, childish and generally appalling movies. So what are these film which haunt me?

Top Three appallingly bad films that I love:

Sliding Doors with Gywennie Paltrow.
Why? I can't stand her normally (and I wish she would eat something, anything) and this is a truly appalling chick-flick but I must have watched this film about 50 times.

Serendipity is another film on high rotation.
"Come on LG, honestly this is a terrible film", I hear you all moan. I know it is - they have the worst on screen chemistry that I have EVER seen. They make a better couple when they are apart then they do when they are together. I just can't help it (although the whole John Cusack obsession may be blamable for this one).

Tomb Raider (I know, the mind boggles)
I've watched this film ad nauseam. Her outfits are comical, her characterisation is worse, the situations go beyond unbelievable and the dialogue is ridiculous. I can't even begin to discuss the plot.

An Honourable Mention goes to Muppets from Space (although I do own nearly all of the Muppet films, this one is my favourite - closely followed by A Christmas Carol).

Ok, so the truth is out. And, if you don't mind, I need some time on my own now.

* I mean this in a nice way. Afterall, every blogger is also part of the audience and I know only too well how sad and demented I can be.

14 Comments:

Blogger Blandwagon said...

MY beef with Blogger Profiles is that if you click on the name of your city to see who else blogs from there, it only gives you a maximum of 40 responses.

And they're generally the SAME 40 responses, many of them single entry "OMG IVE GOT A BLOG!!1! HI SHARYNN AND SHAKKELLAH LOL!!@!" efforts last updated in early 2004.

This is pretty darn annoying, because I know there are interesting blogs in Perth, but blogger is preventing me from finding them. Bastards.

That said, I've clicked through to some people who like the more esoteric bands and film that I like... and they're all wankers. What this says about me I refuse to acknowledge.

1:36 pm  
Blogger Laziest Girl said...

I also feel compelled to mention that I've purposefully left Pretty In Pink, The Breakfast Club and Valley Girl off the terrible movie list on the grounds that watching them allows me to relive my youth. Sad and demented you say?

9:26 pm  
Blogger Matt said...

Personally, I refer to them as "guilty pleasures." I know they're bad for me, but I enjoy them anyway. For me, they're mainly the "spoof" type movies. For instance, I own ALL THREE Naked Gun movies and BOTH of the Hot Shots.

I say: don't be ashamed. Love them proudly. Come out of that closet, put on your John Bender/"Eat my shorts" t-shirt, and march with us in the Bad Movie Lovers parade.

9:55 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's really strange that several blogs I read are all posting on the topics of their favorite movies as of late. I myself have a post on the topic comming up soon.

10:30 pm  
Blogger MC Etcher said...

It takes courage to admit these favorites. I wish I was as brave!

2:20 am  
Blogger Craig said...

Hmm, this topic has suddenly inspired a not quite identical, but still very similar line of thought. I'm afraid, because I have a feeling that the outlet for this inspiration might end up being quite embarrassing. In the meantime however:

The movies that I really love, but of which I am equally ashamed have much more to do with the fear of having my Y chromosome revoked than anything else. Top Three: About a Boy, Love Actually, When Harry Met Sally.

4:41 am  
Blogger Becki said...

bad movies are great. And what are friends for if not to endure the 33rd watching of(in my case) any movie that has synchronized dancing. I'm a sucker for anything like that. This strange fascination has prompted me to buy such movies as Coyote Ugly. I also rented Honey, and then took it back and got a new copy because the one I was watching skipped and I didn't want to miss any dancing. And the Muppets rock.

5:06 am  
Blogger MC Etcher said...

All right, you convinced me.

Here's a guilty pleasure - I'm looking forward to Harry Potter 6 coming out this weekend.

9:18 am  
Blogger Craig said...

Harry Potter? You've got to be kidding! How could anyone read that?

I can't pretend...At my house we've had it on order for quite a while from amazon.co.uk, because my wife wants the british version to match the other HP books we have (either that or she just prefers reading about jumpers instead of sweaters).

11:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it saddens me to think that the things we choose to take a liking to are seized by our culture to classify what sort of person we are or not. do you buy a dvd or announce your favourite movie based on another persons perception of it? of course not. it is based entirely on your own perception. why is it that your choice is scrutinised so much by the culture you reside in to the point where you post a blog admitting the shame of it? it's wrong i tell you! buy without shame, share your favourites without shame - after all, what makes your choice any less in value than the next person? damn cultural pressure!

rns

9:01 pm  
Blogger Laziest Girl said...

rns - that's beautiful.

10:12 pm  
Blogger Craig said...

Wow, rns has a really good point. Unfortuantely that takes all the fun out of pointing and laughing at people whose opinions are different than mine.

11:15 pm  
Blogger Litany said...

So much sharing!!

I adore the Teen Titans cartoon, especially when the theme song is the japanese version.

Raven kicks ass!

3:41 am  
Blogger L said...

I LOVE the Muppets!! Will you be my friend? heh heh heh.

11:34 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home