Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Why did you not tell me??

You'll all notice that in the last week or so, I have updated my links to let you visit other blogs that I like. What you won't notice, is that I've put a counter on my page. And you won't notice it because it's invisible. No, I don't think we all need to wear aluminium foil hats to stop the aliens reading our minds - the counter really is invisible. And, I have to say, I am completely in love with the counter (is there a proper geeky name I should be calling it or is just "counter" ok?).

I can log in and check all my statistics - and you guys don't even know that I have them (cue evil-laugh and that evil finger tapping thing (does it have a name?). It's like Geek-Voyeurism meets Big Brother. Honestly, why has no one told me how good it is? I even get a little map of the world with a red dot on it in case I can't work out where New York or Finland is.

Unfortunately I don't have anything in the key word analysis that is terribly interesting yet. Well, except for the person from Mackay in Queensland who was trying to find out if Bronski and Bernstein were a gay couple. It's nice to know that I'm not the only person on earth who watches it.

In case you're curious - www.statcounter.com - big thanks go to CK at The Fount for beginning my trip to Geekdom.

10 Comments:

Blogger Craig said...

Always glad to be a part of someone else's downfall.

I love statcounter too. I think it would be best if I didn't admit how many times a day I check it, but let's just say I check obsessively. It's so much fun because I can see who has been there when.

In addition, you can figure out where (i.e. what company the IP address is registered to) people work and when they are looking at your site from work rather than home. It's loads of fun, not to mention potential blackmail material.

9:15 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes I shudder when I check my search engine referrals. When I find that my blog popped up in a search for naked pictures of fat bald guys, it makes my skin crawl.

1:52 am  
Blogger MC Etcher said...

My wife also uses StatCounter... She didn't tell me about all the cool features! I guess I'll have to break down and start using it too.

But now I will be tempted to examine my stats every fifteen minutes while at work - hardly the road to efficiency!

2:43 am  
Blogger Laziest Girl said...

ck - is your favourite book "1984" by George Orwell?? Or is Microbiologist a secret code job for actually working in the CIA?

fbmg - I know of what you speak. I just saw a key word search for "naked asian boys". My only consolation is that their visit lasted for zero seconds. Clearly I'm going to need to up my blog quota of naked asian boys.

mc etcher - I'm hoping that the novelty will wear off eventually. Although, looking at CK, I'm beginning to think that therapy is the only answer.

9:24 am  
Blogger Craig said...

Hey, you insulted me twice. Once in a response to someone else. I'm hurt.

Your naked asian boys visitor may have been here fro more than 0 seconds. In my opinion this is a flaw in how statcounter works, because the time of the visit is measured by time between arrival at the site and the last pageload on your site. If they only read the front page, it could take them an hour, but it still counts as 0 seconds.

Looking at this, I suppose I have no choice but to retract my hurt feelings at the therapy comment. Clearly you are right.

10:26 am  
Blogger Blandwagon said...

Beware the power of Statcounter! It is evil and beguiling!

I was going to tell you about it, but I feared it would consume your life as it has threatened to consume mine.

11:47 am  
Blogger Laziest Girl said...

blandy - obviously the time has come to apply for a government grant to create a blog that can offer group therapy to statcounter addicts. Although I'll have to put statcounter on that too which will but fuel my addictions. Now if only I get chocolate involved.

and now that we've mentioned naked asian boys so much, my blog is probably under investigation by the feds.

1:21 pm  
Blogger L said...

yeah, these things are addicting... I love to see what searches people make :)

3:19 pm  
Blogger granola girl said...

Oh, yeah. Hey, stat counters (properly geeky name) are cool. Thanks for adding me to you links, I feel like people like me now! Wow. Weird feeling. I'm going to crawl back into my cave until it goes away.

2:54 am  
Blogger MC Etcher said...

Wow! I got myself signed up for StatCounter, and I'm boggled by the amount of detail.

Kinda creepy, in a way. It gives you so much information about your readers!

I didn't realize that when I view a site, they can tell what screen resolution I'm using.

Handy information, to be sure - but I never knew.

4:12 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home