Monday, June 27, 2005

"Audio-books - the Downfall" or "The Icky Feeling in my Tummy"

Ok - you know how I am always talking about how good audio-books are? Yeah, well, I've found out something bad about them. When you are reading a book, you can skip over any parts that are boring or uninteresting - when you've got an audio-book - you can't really do that. Sure, you can skip forward but you don't know how long the boring bit goes for and it's probably not a good idea to try this while driving.

So I'm currently listening to Portrait in Sepia by Isabel Allende. Sounds innocent you think - kinda trashy, but the equivalent of easy reading (I'd say easy listening but then you'd think I was talking about Celine Dion). Anyway, there I was driving along - innocently listening - and now I know how to perform a leg amputation in a field hospital without anaesthetic. EWWWWWWWWWW. Seriously - in detail here people. I started to feel a bit queasy. Yick. So there you have it.

2 Comments:

Blogger MC Etcher said...

I once listened to my favorite novel as an audiobook - it was read by the author.

The way he pronounced the character names was so different from my pronunciation that it made me wonder what else I'd misinterpreted.

The biggest problem with audiobooks is the pace - too slow.

7:02 am  
Blogger L said...

I can never pay attention to audio books for some reason -- although I have absolutely no trouble reading. I must not be a very good auditory learner.

3:20 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home