Saturday, May 28, 2005

My favourite book - a cure for disjointedness (is this a real word?)

Recently I've been feeling a little below par - not quite depressed - but not quite the usual killer-Laziest Girl. I've been bitching and moaning to all and sundry to no good effect. And I've just realised what the problem is. And, suprisingly enough, it isn't that I didn't attend my high school prom (ok, so who hasn't watched Pretty In Pink an absurd amount of times?).

Some time ago, my God-Sister (Kiwi-doc) (her parents are my God Parents) came up from Melbourne and stayed with us for the weekend. She's a lovely girl and is currently working as a doctor in Melbourne. Anyway, when she left, I gave her my copy of my favourite book for her to re-read.

My favourite book is The Secret History by Donna Tartt. I just love this book and I must have read it about 50 times - it's like comfort food. When I say I've read it about 50 times, I'm seriously not joking. I often will pick it up and start reading at random.

One of the themes in this book is the idea that people have a fatal flaw that runs beneath the surface. This flaw, or supercharged character fault, can be the aspect of their personality that can tip them over the edge of reasonable behaviour. This is a pretty common idea in a lot of books and is quite prominent in murder mysteries - especially - Ruth Rendell, PD James and Elizabeth George (to name a few). I love this idea and spend a great deal of my contemplation time wondering what fatal flaw is possessed by my friends and acquaintances (please don't be totally freaked out by this).

Anyway, the point of this is that I love this book. The characters in this book are so realistic that I feel like I know them. As I've given my copy of the book to the the Kiwi-doc, I haven't been able to re-read it lately. And I miss them.

How sad am I? I miss characters in a book. I know that they are not real but I still feel like I know them and miss them. Clearly the only solution to this is to buy another copy of the damn book and be done with it. Honestly - if I was stuck on deserted island, this is the book that I would take.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home