Wednesday, September 29, 2004

skills? paper shuffling.

On Friday, Ven and I had Vietnamese for lunch then went to a huge second-hand book store called Archives. We were feeling very sprightly after our delicious lunch and I think we were the noisiest people there. I picked up a book by Lisa See called On Gold Mountain. It's her family history from the mid-1800's when her great-great-great what ever grand father left China to go to America and work on the railway. I'm only up to chapter 2, but I'm really liking it. She is very easy to read and provides just enough background information on the social issues of the time. As you know, I'm not big on details, but this is really interesting.

I've also just realised that if I crane my neck and peer out of the nearest window, I can catch a glimpse of the rooftop pool at the Novotel. It's a beautiful blue, glittering jewel in the sunlight and the tall palm trees give aura of an oasis. Just looking at it makes me feel all summery - even though it is only 26 degrees outside and not yet hot enough for me to venture into the water. Thankfully I can only crane my neck for so long - otherwise I would spend the whole day gazing whistfully out of the window while my paper shuffling skills lapsed.




1 Comments:

Blogger Laziest Girl said...

well, we don't really get proper (freezing cold) winters. as we go into spring, the weather is just starting to warm up - today it is 26 degrees celcius (which, I think, is about 79 of your degrees).

I haven't posted my essay anywhere, but if you're keen, I'm happy to email it to you (it's on my computer at home).

2:32 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home