Sunday, January 15, 2006

Teaching adults vs. teaching children

On Friday I also had a new Japanese student in my class. Before class I chatted to him a for a bit about where he was from and how long he was going to be here for. I told him that I was going to Japan in March to teach at a cram school. He expressed the opinion that it will be very different from teaching at the English college. "Yes", I said, "but at least in Japan I'll be taller than most of my students". "That's true", he said, "and in Japan you'll be able to hit them if they are bad".

And he wasn't joking.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe you'll get your wish to be a dominatrix after all.

11:00 am  
Blogger Blandwagon said...

WHY DID I NEVER TEACH ENGLISH IN JAPAN!? O, the missed opportunities!

I'm sure some of my ESL students would have learnt more after a theraputic thump.

12:04 pm  
Blogger MC Etcher said...

I know that I have not commented for a while, but I`'ve been dropping by daily to read. I'm finding all this teaching info very interesting. Keep us posted!

3:22 am  
Blogger Craig said...

Well, that's one way to keep them from using the electronic dictionaries.

12:57 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home