Tuesday, January 17, 2006

It's hard to keep a straight face sometimes

You know, I hadn't really planned for this course to completely take over my life - but it has. I don't do anything except teach classes, attend lectures, prepare lesson plans, write assignments and drink coffee at every opportunity. In order to break up the monotony, I've been treasuring those little moments when my students make me smile.

The other day one of the other guys (nicknamed Deadly) doing my course, set the class (we take turns to teach the same students) some homework - I think it was verb phrases or something. When he asked one of the students to tell the class his answer, SungJin (speaking very clearly) said "I like pure girls". Deadly nearly died on the spot. He recovered well though, and kept the class moving along. In the meantime, all of us sitting at the back doing observation tasks, were in hysterics.

After class, Deadly, was reliving the moment when one of my other classmates revealed that SungJin had told him that he only came to Australia to find a girlfriend. Apparently he was studying Civil Engineering in Korea but wants to give it away because it's too hard to meet girls. Bless his little cotton socks.

2 Comments:

Blogger Craig said...

So, I've probably told this story sometime in the past, but I'm not sure, so I'll tell it again.

When I was an undergrad, I took a lab class that had two Teaching Assistants. We were required to swab a lab partner's throat to see what bacteria we could recover.

TA 1 tried to explain that you should be careful not to hit the "thing that hangs down in the back of your throat" (she couldn't think of the word uvula) because it could make the other person throw up.

TA 2, who was not a native English speaker, said "It's the vulva. Don't swab their vulva or they will throw up."

No one managed to keep a straight face with that one.

1:03 pm  
Blogger MC Etcher said...

Have I mentioned lately how much I like your blog? Just make sure you keep it up once you're in Japan.

I'll bet even the toilets have internet access in Japan, so there's no excuses!

3:36 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home