Monday, August 15, 2005

The Rainiest of Days

Jo and I went to the Ekka on Friday and we froze to death. Well, not literally, but I was so cold I wanted to die and surely that counts for something. I even checked the weather report and it was meant to be 20 degrees (that's celcius folks, not kelvins). But it wasn't. It was much colder. I know you all think that I am being a sook, and quite possibly I am, but the fact remains, it was cold and Brisbane-ites are ill-equiped to deal with such environmental factors.

Oh, and wet. Did I mention wet? It was light rain all day which actually means that it was depressing drizzle all day. Just enough to make your hair go frizzy but not enough to warrant an umbrella. I ended up wrapping my scarf around my head in an effort to stay in a reasonably dry state. Jo said that I looked just like Grace Kelly - if Grace Kelly had worn a bright pink and white checked polar fleece scarf wrapped around her head like a crone.

And then I stood in a puddle. By accident obviously, but I still had one wet foot.

Despite my weather challenges, we had a lovely time. We ate corn on the cob on a stick, fairy floss from a bag, little dutch style mini pancakes with maple syrup, hot chocolates x 3 and hot chips with bbq sauce. We saw all types of dogs, a siamese and a birman cat, pigs and piglets, mice (at the Mouse Circus), rats, sheep and lambs, cattle, horses, dairy goats, deer, fish, chickens, ducks, geese and budgies. I've also decided that my favourite kind of cow is the Belted Galloway.

We didn't go on any rides because we ate too much fairy floss.

When I finally made it home, with one formerly wet but now frozen foot encased in a red chuck taylor, I climbed straight into bed, cranked up the electric blanket and weakly sipped hot tea provided by Handsomest. Even better, he'd made some bread which he toasted and drizzled with honey in an attempt to revive me.

Within mere hours, I was well enough to leave my invalid state behind.

8 Comments:

Blogger Craig said...

Sometimes, I feel like I need a special dictionary to visit here.

11:02 pm  
Blogger granola girl said...

Yeah, me too. Google says: fairy floss = cotton candy. Sheesh, why couldn't you just say "cotton candy"? :)

12:47 am  
Blogger Craig said...

The first time I read this post, I was far too distracted by all the new terms I had to learn. After a second reading, I really hope that HH makes sure to point out to you how spoiled you obviously are.

9:51 am  
Blogger Laziest Girl said...

Yes. I am a spoiled brat.

10:38 am  
Blogger Craig said...

As long as you're aware.

11:16 am  
Blogger Blandwagon said...

I'd just like to add that my favourite kind of cow is the Murray Grey. They come in a range creams, greys, fawns and ecrus, so it's easy to find one that compliments your farm's decor.

12:03 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1) You want to talk about cold? In Vermont, in January, it gets down to 10 below(F) at night and about 10 above during the peak of the day. During July, it averages 90 degrees with very high humidity. From one extreme to the other. Fortunately, both conditions are short-lived.

I'd label you a whiner but, since you wear Chuck Taylor's, you're A-OK!!

10:10 pm  
Blogger Cousin Flora said...

"Just enough to make your hair go frizzy but not enough to warrant an umbrella?" Something in the neighborhood of 10 degrees C? That's our weather for 9 months of the year here in Seattle USA. It IS possible to acclimate. The trick is to imagine you're standing in the produce section at the grocery story when that misting mechanism turns on. (Do you have that down there? If so, I would suppose you call it something strange.)

8:21 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home