Monday, June 06, 2005

the doppelganger

What do you think it would be like to meet yourself? I mean, not just someone like you, but you yourself? Would it be like on Red Dwarf when the computer generates another hologram of Rimmer and they share a bed room. At first they get on really great, but then they start to push each others buttons and they start arguing. By the end they are trying to manipulate each other and one of them gets turned off.

I think it would be fun. At least for the first round of drinks and then you realise that you never take your turn to shout the drinks. It would be even worse if you went out for dinner. If you ever have the pleasure of eating out with me, everyone at the table has to order something different (it's one of the rules) - but this wouldn't work because both of me would want the salmon. And there would be the perenial argument over who chose the last bottle of wine so who gets to choose the next one.

Imagine all your bad habits multiplied by two. Even your charming and amusing habits would become annoying when doubled. And, Christ, you'd never get a word in edgewise if there were two of me. And every story would be told at least 5 times each - in the words of Morrissey - stop me if you think that you've heard this one before. And no-one else would ever get to use the bathroom. God, and what if I had a bad hair day and the other me didn't? Could I cope or would I sabotage my own hair while I was asleep?

I'd eat the last of the biscuits and have no-one to blame but myself. But gift buying would be easy - I'd know exactly what I'd like for my birthday. And I'd amuse myself no end. Still, I do that anyway.

1 Comments:

Blogger Craig said...

I think how people react to this would be an interesting way to look at how they feel about themselves normally. Would the people who already hate themselves look at the second them and think, "Huh, maybe I'm not so bad after all"? Would the narcissists suddenly understand why the rest of us hate them so much? It's great fun to think about, but personally, I'm glad I don't have to worry about it.

2:02 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home