Friday, December 31, 2004

Co-inky-dink

I went and saw I Love Huckabees yesterday with my friend Nell (you know, the one who looks like Snow White) and it totally freaked me out. Basically the premise is that this guy hires a pair of existentialist detectives to investigate his life. He has coincidentally seen a Sudanese refugee three times and wants to uncover "the big picture". Without trying to diss the film - hijinks ensue. Actually, I loved it - it was funny and meaningful and kinda depressing all at once.

In the spirit of coincidence, today I've been reading a book by Julia Glass called Three Junes. It is a lovely read and I've been quite enjoying it (now I sound like a 60 year old dowager with 10 cats - nevermind). I'm halfway through the book when I one of the characters describes the trifle he eats as tasting like floral soap. Now, for ever more, I shall always think (despisingly) of trifle as being like floral soap.

Another odd coincidence. The other night we were playing trivial pursuit and one of my questions was "What rockstar gave the Pope a pair of black wraparound sunglasses?" I had no idea but the following day I was reading an article about U2 in the new Vanity Fair (the one with Johnny Depp on the cover) and it says that famously Bono once gave the Pope a pair of black wraparound sunglasses. Does that strike you as odd? Incidentally, I was reading Vanity Fair before we played trivial pursuit but I'd skipped over the U2 article intending to read it later.

Anyway, from now on I intend to pay close attention to these so called coincidences.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home