Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Breakfast Adventure

I was reading MC Etchers Breakfast Adventure and I can't help but wonder why anyone would eat a hot dog for breakfast. I can't think of single occasion when I have even thought "you know what, I really feel like a hot dog for breakfast today".

Sure, I've eaten cake (with and without ice cream), jam and cheese sandwiches, breakfast quiche, cheese and tomato toasties and even the odd danish along with regular type breakfasts - porridge, cereal, toast, fruit toast, cinnamon toast, yoghurt, fruit, muesli, smoked salmon, pancakes (again, with and without ice cream), baked beans on toast, eggs with mushrooms and spinach and, my personal favourite, lightly toasted crumpets with butter and honey.

Whenever we go out for breakfast, I almost always feel the need to have something extravagant for breakfast - you know, something that you are unlikely to make for yourself - buttermilk blueberry pancakes with honeycomb butter or vegetarian breakfast with scrambled tofu and chili chutney. Poached eggs always feels like a let down, I mean Buster makes excelled poached eggs, usually better than the cafe as well. Toast? Boring and it always arrives cold.

Perhaps the lure of the hot dog for breakfast is its simplicity - it's fast to make, easy to eat and satisfyingly bready. It's quite portable too - you could even eat it in the car on the way to work. Now if only I could work out a way to apply mascara and straighten my hair while driving and eating, my life would be complete.

6 Comments:

Blogger Craig said...

I've never eaten a hotdog for breakfast, and I'm not really sure I would want to, but did you just question its value as breakfast food while saying that baked beans on toast is an acceptable breakfast?

2:07 am  
Blogger Laziest Girl said...

did you just question the value of baked beans on toast as a breakfast???

Baked beans on toast is an awesome breakfast I'll have you know. Buster also makes excellent homemade baked beans which we ate in Japan. Did you know that they don't do breakfasts like we do? We often go out for breakfast with friends to a cafe but it is nearly impossible to find a cafe that does and english style breakfast at breakfast time in Japan. Everyone just eats konbini food.

But back to the main point - do you not eat baked beans on toast with mushrooms, spinach and dob of ricotta ever?

10:20 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Toast (maybe a piece of Ciabatta or Turkish), some Heinz baked beans, then a nice runny poached egg!

6:46 pm  
Blogger Craig said...

No, I've never eaten baked beans on toast for breakfast or for any other time. I don't think it's something that's even remotely common over here. While I have heard of beans on toast, my knowledge of it pretty much ends there.

3:16 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did a search and found this: http://harvey.nu/beans_on_toast/

It's better than it looks.

6:15 pm  
Blogger MC Etcher said...

If I eat something oddish for breakfast, it usually means that I was craving it before bed the night before, but I managed to talk myself out of it by promising myself said food for breakfast the next day.

Perhaps I have not made clear how delicious these hot dogs are - they are all beef, and taste nothing like your average bland weiner.

11:05 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home