Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Crema and other issues

Here is a picture of the crema from our most recent batch of coffee beans. Admittedly over the New Year period there were an ill-advised few days of caffeine deprivation, but now we are back on the straight and, mostly, narrow one-cup-a-day regime.


My only marginally big news at the moment is the nearness of my 20 YEAR SCHOOL REUNION. If you don't feel old, try wearing my shoes for the day.

School reunion. The mere idea was enough to fill me with dread. Except Facebook has led me back into the path of the sinners. Well, old(ish) school friends anyway. I haven't seen any of them for at least 17 years and I was feeling a bit anxious about seeing them again. And you know what? It has been nowhere near as bad as I feared. In fact it is strangely comforting to see such old friends again. The biggest worry was the adolescent role. You know what I mean, the role you took on as part of your group of friends - did you still want that role, did it still fit, couldn't you just kill someone now...you know what I mean.

At high school, there were six of us - a larger group that paired off into two's. Jackie and Kim, Donna and Annette and Me and Kris. Four of the group have stayed in contact and consequently have a longer shared knowledge - marriage, children, divorce, second marriage, children etc. I've kind of just come in at the end so to speak. But it's really odd. I was expecting to feel left out and excluded (not deliberately, but just by shared history) but it hasn't been the case. Oddly enough, I feel like no time at all has passed - like I've blinked my eyes and the last 20 years haven't happened. We seem to still fit, which I hadn't expected at all.

Anyway, enough of my nausea-inducing nostalgia - if it's any consolation, I still don't feel like a grown-up.

2 Comments:

Anonymous itsmekris said...

you know, it was really only 3 of the group who really stayed in reguykar contact. the fourth was only just hanging on by the skin of her teeth and sometimes wondering if it was worth the trouble and if she was just getting in everyone's way trying to hold on to something thet really was best left "back in the day" and filed neatly away under Past Experiences. but somehow the reunion brought us all back together in a really special way and having you back just tops the whole thing off for me. i no longer feel so much the 3rd wheel. ok...i've just deleted about 5 different sentences where i'm trying to spit out something about how much i value your friendship and how because of you the group dynamic has altered in such a huge way that i can't explain. and that the change is for the better. i'm apparently not capable of a coherent sentence about it but please try to pick up the general vibe (as they say in the castle)that i love you and i'm so glad you're back!!!!! : )))

9:44 pm  
Blogger Laziest Girl said...

I just read this - you are such a dag. Sorry, sorry, my new grownup mature self means to say - I love you too!

10:04 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home