Sunday, September 28, 2008

30 Days

We've all spent the weekend being disease ridden. On Thursday, the MonkeyFishChild had a tummy bug and was a bit pukey. Yesterday, both Buster and I got it too. And this is on top of the cold that he'd already given us earlier in the week. And then today I had to go to the doctor as my cold has become a chest infection so I needed antibiotics. So it's been buckets of fun at our place.

Tonight we decided to watch the first episode of Morgan Spurlock's new show - 30 Days. It was quite shocking actually. I couldn't believe how expensive the medical care was. Having just gone to the doctor on a Sunday, I couldn't believe that the emergency room charged them so much money for their visits. Not only that, but how would you manage to have a family on that kind of income? They barely managed to feed themselves.

It makes me wonder if things are the same here in Australia. I know healthcare isn't such a big issue (although our hospitals aren't looking too flash at the moment and you could possibly die while still in the waiting room) - you can always find a clinic that bulk-bills so it doesn't cost anything. Our regular doctor bulk-bills for children Monday to Friday so we never have to pay for the child. You also can get a healthcare card if you are a low income earner so you also get medications cheaper. But I'm certain that being on a low income is still as difficult. It's ok while things are going well, but if the washing machine or the fridge breaks down and you can't afford to fix it - you are screwed.

It made me thank my lucky stars.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Suze, here in the U.S., schools just started at the beginning of September. After being apart for 11 weeks, the first few weeks of school are a cootie-fest. All those cooties converge, they take the cooties home, everyone gets sick. It takes getting that first bug of the year to build up some immunity.

8:28 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home