Friday, April 29, 2005

the cold rush of fear

Today I got Random Breath Tested for the very first time and it was exciting. I was driving back from the shop at lunch time when I was waved to the side of the road behind a parked police car. The policeman was very nice and fitted the little white tube to the hand held machine and asked me to blow into it evenly. As I don't make a habit of getting sloshed at lunch time and then driving around the countryside, I blew 0% blood alcohol.

So how do you explain the sudden rush of adrenalin? I mean, I'm pretty law abiding - I don't make a habit of murdering people or conducting armed robberies - but I still had that cold rush that makes your legs go wobbly. I wonder why? I don't have any crime-ridden skeletons lurking in my cupboard and I've only ever had one speeding ticket so it can't be guilt related can it? Is this entirely irrational physical response normal? Is it normal to worry that the breath testing machine will show .50% blood alcohol level even though I haven't had a drink all week?

3 Comments:

Blogger Craig said...

It sounds perfectly normal to me. I feel the same way anytime a police car is behind me in traffic, even though I haven't done anything wrong. Then again, I'm pretty much nuts, so it may not be quite so normal after all.

2:03 pm  
Blogger L said...

weird -- random breath testing? I've never heard of that! I think they only do that here if you are driving suspiciously...

1:21 pm  
Blogger Laziest Girl said...

Wow - you don't have random breath testing? They are now also bringing in random drug testing too! It's because Australians are completely obsessed with road tolls. At Christmas and Easter, they even show the running tally of deaths on the news.

1:38 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home