Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Here's one I prepared earlier


14_3_07 025, originally uploaded by susebaptista.

Because today is my Mum's birthday, we made her a special roast chicken birthday dinner. I also made this fabulous cake for us to eat afterwards. I wanted to make a cake with a syrupy topping and pears are coming into season here so I thought I'd give it a try (bear in mind that the last cake I made was referred to as "the rubber cake" due to its interesting texture). To help with the forgetful thing, I had to get out all the ingredients and measure them before I even started so I didn't leave anything out. It wasn't too difficult although we did have a slight drama when the power went out and then Mum came home from work early and I hadn't even got it in the oven so it wasn't really a proper surprise cake, but it looked and tasted fantastic.

When I was making the cake, I cracked the eggs into the batter and each of the three eggs had double yolks - I'd never seen a double-yolker before let alone three. And, even more bizarrely, we had a poached egg each for breakfast this morning (eggs are good for Squirmy McBaby) and both of them were double yolks too. So we've used 5 out of the dozen and they are all double yolks - I should start a betting scheme on the number of yolks in the remaining 7 eggs in the carton.

But back to the cake - the brown sugar and the butter go all gooey and toffee tasting which is awesome with the sliced pear. I think I need a bit more practice slicing and arranging the pears as it was a bit haphazard, but this is still the most fabulous cake I've made this year and well worth eating despite the hideous amount of butter and sugar it contains.

If you want to give it a go - Pear and Almond Upside Down Cake

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The culinary delight I miss the most from my days in Sydney is a pavlova (spelling?)with strawberries on it. YOWZA!

1:56 am  
Blogger sarah said...

hey suse, thanks for the great link, so sorry i missed you the other day, hope all is well xxx

12:39 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home