Monday, November 07, 2005

Appleseed and Vietnamese dinners

On Friday night we all traipsed along to the Brisbane Anime Festival (or whatever they are calling it) to see a film called Appleseed. And I really enjoyed it. So the dialogue was George Lucas inspired - so the plot was needlessly complicated - so most of the audience were single men aged between 17 and 25 - so the characters all had stupid names - it didn't matter in the slightest. This was the first anime that I've ever seen at the cinema (not including Spirited Away because I'm not sure if that counts as anime??) and it was a great experience. Like I said, it wasn't the best film in the world, but I didn't begrudge it as 90 minutes I'll never see again.

After the film, we went to a tiny vietnamese hole-in-the-wall for dinner. I felt very cosmopolitan as we had to wait for 10 minutes outside before they could fit us in. Inside, they had pulled two tables together for us to sit at. Andre squished himself in the seat between the wall and the table and then declined to exchange places with me although I would have fitted more easily in the confined space. When he finally managed to fold his legs under the table, I pulled out the chair next to him and tried to sit down. Unfortunately, as everyone else was already seated, there was no room under the table for my legs. Eventually Andre resorted grabbing my ankles and forcing them half under his chair. And the fun didn't stop there. As I tried to lay my napkin in my lap I nearly gouged out Becc-with-two-c's eye with my chopsticks. Thankfully the food was excellent enough to make the cramped conditions bearable.

And then Jammin' J dragged us off to Pancakes where we stuffed ourselves to bursting. Next time you visit me here in BrisVegas, we can go there if you like. I'd recommend the blueberry pancakes or the short stack as the blackforest cherry pancakes are too dry.

2 Comments:

Blogger SquirrleyMojo said...

i'd love to see appleseed

1:51 pm  
Blogger Herge Smith said...

Spirited Away counts - anime is just animation in Japanese.

Spirited Away is a wonderful film. Appleseed the comic is okay, I saw a movie version of this about 10 years ago, I'm guessing this is a new movie.

I'm going to try try try to do that CD for you this weekend - work permitting.

9:13 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home