Monday, September 26, 2005

Personalised Number Plates

I have long held the opinion that personalised number plates are naff and that most people with personalised number plates are tossers. I mean having a number plate that says "HRT003" (as in Holden Racing Team, not Hormone Replacement Therapy) just says dickhead to me.

But the other day I saw a number plate that was cool. This number plate immediately made me smile and has consequently revised my opinion of personalised number plates. It said "CU JIMMIE". You'll need to cast your mind back to an episode of The Young Ones called Bambi to realise why I smiled. This is exactly what Special Patrol Group (Vyvyan's hamster) says to the teddy bear supporter of Footlights College, Oxbridge at the filming of University Challenge. SPG then thumps the bear.

I guess you had to be there.

7 Comments:

Blogger Craig said...

I'm a bit offended, as I happen to have a personalized plate of my own.

11:12 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, me too, Lazy! Myself, I'm a die-hard Frank Zappa fan & have been most of my life. For years I had a plate that said "FZ". It has since been retired.

BTW, I totally got the Yount Ones reference. I've got Every Stoopid Episode on DVD.

8:39 pm  
Blogger MC Etcher said...

(naff: useless, low quality, ridiculous)

I agree completely! It seems like one car in ten has personalized plates in California.

The problem is, when so many people have them, you can no longer spell anything correctly anymore. So all the plates are a silly mixture of abbreviations and phonetic spellings.

1:49 am  
Blogger Craig said...

When I lived in Illinois the number of personalized plates was amazing. Turns out that there is no additional charge for them as long as it ends in a number.

2:07 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't be ridiculous. You'd wear "Wong" plates if I gave them to your for your birthday.

9:42 pm  
Blogger Laziest Girl said...

Ok - clarification is clearly required. A number plate with your initials is ok in the land of Laziest Law. Even FBMG's FZ number plate is ok.

A number plate that says "3LVI5" is just silly. A number plate that is hot pink and says "FUN612" or "LUV256" is stupid.

I've spoken to CK - his personalised number plate is just geeky (I can't reveal it due to the confidentiality agreement he made me sign).

And Jammin' J (AKA GTO) - you're right - I would put "WONG" number plates on my car - but only because you gave them to me. Oh, and in Laziest Law I would be in charge so I could do whatever I wanted anyway.

8:08 am  
Blogger Craig said...

So are we supposed to be able to get something out of the 3LVI5, FUN612, and LUV256 or is your point that we can't?

11:48 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home