Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Laziest Girl - Inaugural Entry

Because I number among the laziest of people ever, and because I have an appalling memory, I thought that I’d use this blog to keep track of what I’m reading, seeing etc. I've never had the discipline, or inclination, to keep a diary but I'm interested in whether I start to see things differently as I become used to writing stuff down.

I just finished reading The Dharma Bums by Jack Kerouac for Book Group at the end of the month. It was pretty good, but I don’t think it’ll ever be in my top ten. Some of the phrases are beautiful – he describes Chinese signs as “big wild crowtracks”. One of the characters wakes from “his nervous small sleep of dawn”. I also liked that Kerouac wasn’t too hung up on punctuation. The length of some of the sentences makes you feel a bit disconnected by the end of them. It’ll be interesting to hear what the others have to say about it.

I'm also reading a book by Marina Warner called Indigo. Its kind of based on the story of the Tempest. I'm about a quarter of the way through and I think I might abandon it - its not really grabbing me.

This week I'm into strawberries, muesli and Greek yogurt for breakfast (still) and Butter Chicken for dinner.

I've been watching Ultraviolet on DVD and on the TV I'm still watching Book Group (my favourite show at the moment).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home